Saturday, May 2, 2009

My Magical Birthday Cake

A year ago, I was thinking how a birthday cake can be a healing symbol. The absense of it can certainly be a tragedy. People are always telling me that I must know what I want and to be specific. Simplicity is the resonance of hearts in mind. I asked for a lemon cake for my 29th birthday and my wishes were instantly rejected. No, no, anything but lemon cake. Now, I was trying to defend my choice and soon I compromised myself--again. A few days later, I had moved through my whole birthday without a cake. The promise was empty, something else stirred from within. I missed the time and the intention of my family and old friends. The disappointment was once again, that I had not been listened to, especially when I was direct and knew what I wanted.

This year was a filled with connection to all my people in Seattle. I set out yesterday to celebrate my 30th birthday with everyone who crossed my path. I said hello, slapped high and low fives, waved and shook hands. My purpose was to break down the barriers that keep us from enjoying our time and place together. Many smiled and some gave the stink eye, laughs outweighed any negative vibes and people changed right before me. From noon to midnight, we played frizbee, walked around, ate and drank and soaked that sun like it was pure dopamine. I realized that the more people that I loved and accepted on just a basic human level reaching ever towards the spiritual, I had no reason for pain. Separation got the best of us. It will take but a few aukward moments to create the connection that we all so desire. The wall is put up, thoughts of conspiracy and alternative motives passes by their eyes and all that they feel is right now, as we are together. Then a quick good-bye and have a great night and on to the next passer by. The funniest thing was that people thought I was either trying to get in their pants or sell them something. When that wasn't the case, they actually trusted that their were no strings attached. If you want to move on with your day, please extend your hand, shake and the both of us will be on our way.

After meeting and greeting what must have been in the hundreds, I was a little spent. We walked to my friends apartment and baked a lemon cake. It was late, and this was going to be from scratch, which meant that we had to make a quick trip to the store for some safflower oil. At about two in the morning, the candles lit surrounded by such goodness. I was filled with warmth and felt my special day had now only one thing left, the wish. I know we aren't supposed to talk about it, but when it was time it came right to me.

The Lemon Cake was presented on an antique plate of familial importance and this mass of love on top was putting off a vibration that would make crying heart bleed. Tears of joy along with a lite whipped frosting. I always knew that you have to love your food. This was different, this lemon cake had come to life, had animated not only myself, but the room and the experience of the day. I was now thirty and it was OK. Thanks Smoosh.

No comments:

Post a Comment