Sunday, May 31, 2009

Steel Cut Oats

Oatmeal was kind of a mushy mess. It made me feel as if I were a farm animal ready to feed in the troff. Paste of oats with raisins and brown sugar used to be the standard. Until I was offered some steel cut, down in Arizona a couple years ago. This was a memorable breakfast, for I also learned that eggs and rice could be a reasonable staple in tough times.

The Steel Cut have texture, meusagelatenous, dang I hope I spelled that one right, and above all, they actually look like oats. The whole food version of rolled out instant meal is satisfying with its buttery flavor. Just a pinch of sea salt brings out the butter, so you don't really need any other acoutraments.

People walk by as I eat my steel cut oats and to their surprise I haven't added sugar, fruit or some other taste enhancer. I just like the real thing, cut a few times and boiled for twenty minutes. I never measure the water, and when it boils I throw a couple handfuls of oats in there and let it do its thing. Since I am a firey person, red hair and all, I need the oaty goodness to calm my inflamed body and balance my hormones. It's nice for a BM as well. So take it easy on yourself and get the full effect of the steel cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment