Monday, May 18, 2009

Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup

How healing can this youthful lunch be? Anything hot and melty is usually the bomb, so what is it about cheddar and tomato? When I was about six years old, the neighbor kid came over and put ketchup on his grilled cheese sandwich. I thought that my friend Jon was crazy and that I would ruin my sandwich if I followed suit. I was wrong, this was the greatest thing and then all of the sudden came visions of tomato soup and open faced sandwiches with a fresh slice of tomato. It all came clear, there was much more to this relationship.

Ketchup on french fries will always be the greatest, but now I have another greatest. Crisp, buttery, and oozing with dairy goodness, just the right amount of ketchup will make or break your lunch. Don't be messy, but get enough to last. Ketchup has toatoes in it I am told. Well, I didn't believe that either. It doesn't taste like a tomato off the branch, and definitely doesn't taste like spagetti sauce, so what's the deal?

The amount of sugar we get from ketchup in America over the span of one year could cover this desk, for one person. I heard a guy say the other day that he was putting extra ketchup on his breakfast, because of the licopene. I looked at his belly and thought that might spoil his plan of good heart health. Not to be mean, but ketchup should be eaten as a condiment not as the full course. French fries and grill cheese are kid's food groups and ketchup right along with these two should be limited to keep ketchup a flavor enhancer instead of the only desirable flavor. Heal thyself of this ketchup addiction, but don't give it up completely. It is just too good for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment