Saturday, April 25, 2009

Ginger Pear Sauce

Years ago while at Birkebeiner Brewry, I learned to make a BBQ sauce. It was a simple sauce with all the basics: ketchup, vinegar, worshishires sauce, and onions. This time I replaced the onions with fresh grated ginger and bartlette pears. The sweatness had a burning desire for chicken breasts and so we bought two free range and two organic breasts to see what the difference between these two labels. The free range breasts were bigger, but seemed to be pumped full of hormones. The organic breasts were small with a healthy looking color of fleshy white. This was not a serious research idea, more of a taste test. And the winner was--the sauce. Getting caught up into all the details of one's meat, causes a political conflict about what is better, based on all angles of how the chicken was raised, the feed eaten, to what kinds of chemicals still reside in your breast. Where is the love of the food that is here to be appreciated and eaten. We create eating disorders out of our constant infatuation with what we really want. What I want is bad, and what I need is good. My body decides much more than I do what it needs and therefore, I want to eat an organic breast over a free range. Two choices that are considered within any conscious food debate. The life of the chicken, becomes the life of me. How I relate to my food is how I relate to myself. If I am whiling to take in something less than my highest potential, then I will not consider the consequences of my diet. On the other side, if I am too far concerned with what I ingest, am I allowing myself to be a part of what and who is around me? I like questions more than answers. The way I create my world depends very much on what questions I have been asking myself lately. Right now, I would like to ingest a healthy and happy chicken. In the movie, Baraka, they showed a chicken factory, with all the little chickies being thrown around, with their beeks burnt off, and living within an overpopulated cage. I have been eating these chikcen my whole life. I am not ready to give up chicken, but will certainly look to support a more sustainably conscious chicken farm with its practices considerate of all that may be effected by the treatment of our food.

No comments:

Post a Comment