Thursday, April 16, 2009

Something about Food

I like to eat food. It is good. It fills my belly. I eat more. Then, I eat until I am more full. Since this food is just passing by as quickly as my digestive system can process it, I must continue to eat, daily. What will I eat next?

Damn, this is a lot of work. I used to just eat food and now I write about it. I wanted to use this post to philosophize about our connection to food, but I need it to be more of a conversation. What do you think? I know there are foods that will make you turn in your grave for just one more taste, one more morsel of mouth feel. The saliva is dripping from the sides of my mouth and I haven't even said anything about a specific food.

If we could take this to a grade school level, I was wondering what is the one food that you could not live without?

My favorite food is the burrito. I worked at a burrito shop back in highschool. At the time I was working at a microbrewry named the Birkebeiner Brewry, I don't know about the name, but it was a great first job. The dirty dishes were plenty. One day I was riding my bike around town thinking that I had the day off and my buddy and I stopped by the brewry to get some of that crackrock-delicious Mr. Pibb. To my adolescent surprise, I was scheduled to work. I thought to myself, "you are fucking kidding-right?" Who knows, if I would have missed my shift, I might have been fired.

The owner was there this fateful afternoon. He walked up to me, while I was still in shock about having to put in eight hours of sludgery. As usual, I expected him to call me a slack-ass or some other confidence building words of encouragment and instead, he offered me a cooking/burrito making job at his new place, Slickrock Burrito. Of course I said yes and I even offered to do some recruiting at school. To help business, he wanted some pretty girls to apply. Without hesitation I offered to do some serious recruiting for him--ooo ooo, a twitter update, I just had a drink of beer, mmmmm, oh yeah.

He wanted me to find some girls that weren't afraid to get their hands dirty and clean out the grease trap every once in a while. I assured him that the girls I had in mind would get the job done. I was so full of shit. These girls wouldn't even touch a dirty dish, but they brought in the business and every time they smiled, that tip jar filled up. One of the girls wore shorts so short that when she put on an apron, it looked like she wasn't wearing anything at all. I think she is a lawer now.

We had our grand opening, advertising free buritos on the south hill. The line practically went around the block. This place was on the map instantly. The burritos were the best burritos in the universe at this time and people wanted more. Husbands were sneaking out to get a burrito fix. Minutes later, the wives of these same husbands were there, not to catch a fool in the act, but to get their fix too. I will give you all the details of the best burrito in a later post, for now I must finish this beer and chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment